So before we talk about the how-to, let’s start with the WHY! This is key to understanding the importance clearing and charging has to using gemstone and crystal jewelry for healing.
We know crystals produce energy (such as quartz used to power watches), but crystals also absorb and hold energies they come into contact with. This is why it’s important to cleanse new crystal jewelry; so you can purify it of any energy it may be hanging on to. Then, you’ll want to program the piece so you can harness and focus it’s energies with the most benefit toward the task at hand.
This is a great time to mention, there ARE a few gemstones which are self-cleansing: Carnelian, Citrine, Crystal Quartz, Kyanite, and Selenite crystals protect from and transmute negative energy and also cleanse themselves and nearby stones of any lingering energies. These can serve as great tools to clear your other stones and jewelry. More on that shortly!
How to Clear Your Gemstone Jewelry
There are many methods you can use to clear your gemstone jewelry of any energies they may be hanging on to. You'll need to look at the physical qualities of your stones and check in with yourself to determine which method will be right for you, as well as the particular stones in your jewelry.
• Running water: Simply hold your crystal jewelry under the faucet, pour bottled water over it, or place it in the ocean or stream (carefully please!) to draw off negativity. Alternately, place your jewelry in a bowl of water with a handful of sea salt for one hour. IMPORTANT NOTE: We do not recommend soaking for longer periods than one hour as water can damage the thread and findings on your jewelry. Be sure to dry your jewelry thoroughly afterward. Also, do not use water on soft or layered stones such as Desert Rose or Selenite - they will dissolve! • Salt or rice: Place your jewelry in a bowl of salt or brown rice overnight where negative energy will be absorbed. Be sure to remove all salt from between beads or crevices in your jewelry, as the salt may draw and hold water there causing damage to your piece, the stones and findings themselves.
• Smudging: Sage and Sweetgrass are very effective to remove negativity. Simply hold your
jewelry in the plume of smoke from your smudge stick. We love this gentle method as it’s very safe for crystal and gemstone jewelry!
• Visualization: Hold your crystal jewelry in your non-dominant hand and visualize a pure, bright beam of light coming down and streaming through the piece. See the light flushing any energies your jewelry is holding and releasing them back down to the earth to be absorbed and transmuted. This method is also very gentle for cleansing jewelry with crystals.
• New moon: The new moon is a time of release and new beginnings, which makes it an excellent time to cleanse your crystals. Leave them out under the new moon (on your windowsill, car dashboard, or somewhere safe outside) to clear them of stagnant energy.
• Crystal clusters: If you own a large crystal specimen of Carnelian, Citrine, Crystal Quartz, Kyanite, or Selenite, you can place your jewelry atop the stone overnight and these powerful cleansing stones will remove any energies your jewelry has absorbed. This is another wonderfully gentle method for jewelry!
Now that you have purified your gemstone jewelry of the energies it has come into contact with, it’s time to charge it! This is basically programming the stones with intention. This way, the crystals within your jewelry will have their energies focused toward healing and your specific intentions for that piece.
How to Charge Your Gemstone Jewelry
Just like with clearing, there are several options you can choose to imbue your jewelry with the healing energy you want to support your particular needs. We recommend choosing what feels best and most connected for you! No one way is better or more effective than any other. And the more you can focus on your purpose, instead of worrying if you’re doing this whole thing “right”, the more benefit you will see from your healing gemstone jewelry!
Some methods do lend themselves better to the type of stones and purpose of your jewelry, but all of the different methods will work for all types stones, in a pinch.
• Sunlight: The sun's rays are excellent for energizing and programming your gemstones. We love sun-charging for pieces that are intended to uplift mood, aid with energy, or combat mental fog and depression. A good way to know sunshine is right for your piece is if it contains red, orange, yellow, or pink stones. Simply place your jewelry in the sunlight for a couple hours (or all day). As you lay it out, hold your intentions for this piece of jewelry in your mind; see the goals you are working toward. Be sure to choose a safe spot where it won’t get lost, picked up, or damaged by any creatures or people. Outside is our favorite, but when that’s not possible, a sunny window ledge, or even hanging from the rearview mirror of your car can work.
• Moonlight: Moonbeams are wonderful for programming intent into your jewelry too! We use
the moon for jewelry purposed for calming and focus, restfulness and sleep, mothers’ pieces, and anxiety. Cool-toned stones in blues and purples as well as white and pale-colored stones love moonlight. Any moonlit night will do, but the full moon is fantastic for the best charge! Just like sun-charging, place your jewelry in the best spot to be directly in the moon’s light for as long as possible overnight.
Be sure to consider the safety of your chosen location-you don’t want your jewelry to get stepped on or whisked away by any backyard critters! Hanging from a tree branch in the backyard is fun (and super pretty)! If you don’t have access to tree branches where you live, placing your jewelry on your dashboard is great! Again, as you layout your jewelry for moon programming, think about what you want from this piece of jewelry and see it working toward the best possible outcome for you.
• Earth: The earth is really good for programming stones that are focused on grounding, mellowing, for fertility, protection, or growth. These tend to be stones that are green, black, brown, and grey. Using earth to charge your gemstone jewelry is a bit different than charging loose stones. You don’t want to bury your jewelry, as it can ruin the thread and embed your findings with grit. Yuck! When using earth for charging crystal jewelry, we like to place our jewelry on a large flat rock, or atop well packed soil or sand so that the piece is in contact with the ground, but not embedded in it. As always, be sure to think about choosing a safe spot and leave your piece in contact with the ground for several hours to overnight. Hold a picture in your mind of your desires for this piece and ask the stones to help you to the best of their abilities.
• Visualization: Visualization is effective for charging and programming your crystal jewelry as well as clearing it. This method works well for all types of gemstone jewelry. Don’t worry - you don’t have to be an expert to try it! Just hold your jewelry in your dominant hand, and picture a clear, vibrant light coming down, flooding your crystal jewelry with the energy needed to attain your goals for this piece. State very clearly what you need, whether it’s healing a particular symptom or aiding with certain feelings or moods. Repeat the intention several times to anchor it into your crystal jewelry. It may sound too easy, but when you try this, you might be surprised how connected to your jewelry you can feel!
When Should I Cleanse and Charge My Jewelry?
There are lots of opinions out there on when and how often to cleanse and charge gemstones. We like to keep it simple:
1. Cleanse & charge your jewelry when you first receive it: While we at Funky Birdie do work to imbue purpose into each piece as we make it, we still recommend clearing and charging your new jewelry when you get it in the mail. Think how many hands it may have passed through
just to get from us to you! When you clear and charge your new jewelry, it helps focus the intention of the piece right from the start, as well as attune the stones to your personal energy and sort of acquaint you with your new piece. Awe, warm fuzzies!
2. After any major issues: If you are wearing your jewelry during an illness, accident, or any type of strong emotional event (like a natural disaster or even just a fight with your family member), it will pick up the stress energy from the event. You want to clear that from your piece so that you and your jewelry aren’t carrying that negative energy with you. After you clear your piece of the energy associated with the issue you have just experienced, you will want to refocus the purpose of your stones by recharging your jewelry with one of the methods we just talked about.
3. Full moon: It’s not required to clear and charge your jewelry at every full moon, but it sure is a great periodic reminder! And the full moon is wonderful provider of energy.
4. When you feel you need a boost: If you know you have a particularly challenging time ahead of you or if you feel that your piece could use refreshing, go ahead and clear and recharge your jewelry! The new energy may help calm you for what is ahead. Or if you feel the piece isn’t functioning as you hoped, reconnecting with it while you clear and recharge it may help you feel that support you are needing.
Understanding the importance and how-to of clearing and charging your crystal pieces will help you gain the most benefit from your Funky Birdie Amber jewelry!
#clearing #charging #clearingcrystals #chargingcrystals #clearinggemstones #charginggemstones #clearingjewelry #chargingjewelry #selfcleansingcrystals #carnelian #citrine #crystalquartz #kyanite #selenite #sage #smudging #visualization #meditation #crystalclusters #stones #energy #negativeenergy #positiveenergy #intent #moonlight #sunlight #grounding #programming #programmingstones #programminggemstones #programmingcrystals #crystalenergy #howtochargecrystals #howtoclearcrystals #howtoprogramcrystals #intuition #magic #magick