"My Baltic amber necklace just got here and I ordered the wrong size! What can I do?"
We at Funky Birdie Amber make your jewelry by hand exactly to your specifications, so It's important to measure correctly before ordering. However if your jewelry comes and still doesn't fit as expected, there are several solutions to try!
1. Is your piece too small? Stretch it! Jewelry that is individually knotted between can actually gain up to an extra 1 or 2 inches. How to do it? Gently pull the strand between your palms, being careful NOT to pull from the clasps. Do not pull with strong force or you may find you have given yourself too much length. Also be careful not to put excessive pressure on the individual beads.
Please note: Jewelry that is not individually knotted between each bead is not stretchable and could result in breakage if attempted.
2. Too small with a sterling or screw clasp? We now offer coordinating extenders from 1" to 5" to extend your necklaces, bracelets, and anklets. Follow this link to purchase!
3. Too big with a sterling clasp? If your jewelry has the standard spring ring clasp or a lobster clasp, you can actually attach the clasp to the necklace itself, between the beads. Please be cautious with babies and children to observe the length of "tail" you are creating on your Baltic amber teething necklace. If your child can put the necklace in their mouth, try another method to adjust length.
4. Too big with a screw or pop clasp? You can knot your jewelry to "use up" some of the excess length, either permanently or until your kiddo grows into the size you ordered. A simple over-hand knot can be placed in the middle to create and interesting center piece to your necklace, anklet, or bracelet. Alternately, the knot can be placed next to the clasp where it will be hidden in the back of the piece. This is the best option to shorten a necklace even with a spring ring or lobster clasp if the above method leaves a tail that reaches your child's mouth.
5. Re-string. If none of the above options are working for you, we can re-string your piece at the desired length, starting at $20. If your piece requires more amber and/or gemstones to add length, additional fees may apply. Please email us for details.
As always, please contact us with any questions. We're here to help!